I, tannngl, have been on a ketogenic diet for the last 3.5 years. Initially I lost about 30 pounds. (165 lbs to 135 lbs.) At 5’8″ tall my weight is normal. Last year I dipped to 128 lb. which is where I feel the best. The weight has varied, in the winter going up about 5-8 lbs to decrease in the spring and summer but since that first year my weight has remained fairly constant.
With all the fat I eat, one would think I would have super high cholesterol levels. In fact, I don’t. All of my Cholesterol panel decreased and so did my triglycerides (a really bad player). The only thing that went up was my HDL, from 75 to a little over 100! That’s the good stuff! And high fat, very low carbohydrate did it!
A few other effects for the last 3 years:
- My arthritis pain went away. Yes, WENT AWAY! I have some deformed joints from this demon disease which will not improve but no pain. I used to take 4-8 Ibuprofen/day. I haven’t taken any for 2 years. The inflammation is gone.
- My psoriasis has gone away. Yep, it’s been gone for the last 2 years. Plaques in my scalp, elbows are gone and have not returned. Another disease caused by inflammation and with my inflammation gone, the plaques are gone.
- I simply feel better! I’ve taken up weight lifting and walk 1.5-3 miles/day about 3 days/week. I have energy for keeping a 5 bedroom house and horse training. It’s given my attitude a huge lift. I am so thankful for all I have and my health.
- I’ve had memory lapses in the past-just times when I couldn’t remember a word I wanted to use in conversation. This has definitely decreased. Not sure if it’s the food or the walking but it is an improvement.
- There’s probably more but these things were the really big improvements in my life. At 71, I feel better than I have in many years.
So, if you have time, watch the video. My labs have mirrored Mr. Feldman’s.
I think it’s a good thing: ketogenic diet. Great food! And it makes food become less the center of my life adding more time for other things.